Sunday, March 30, 2008

YES! All 4 kids are mine!

And Yes, they were planned. And Yes, we know what we are doing! I am so sick of people being surprised that I have 4 kids. I am tired of the sideways glances and the comments regarding the number of kids we have. I can't believe some people have the nerve to ask me if they were all planned or if we're crazy. Or the best comment..."you do know what causes it don't you?"...or "did you miss a pill"!!!!
I have people ask me if they are "all mine" ...as if I can't handle 4 kids! C'mon! We are not perfect but I have the Lord as my strength. My house is NOT spotless but we have a happy home. Our house is a place for the kids to land when they've had a hard day. My kids are gifts from God and I hate that I feel like I have to defend myself for having 4 children! My gosh...my dad is from a family of 5 and my Aunt and Uncle have 7 kids! Just a few years ago it was very common for people to have a lot of kids! So what the heck!?! Why are families that have more than 2.2 kids looked down on? Why do we get the snide comments and the judgemental glances? I don't appreciate older women looking at me and saying "boy, you have your hands full. did you think about that before you had so many?" Excuse me? I didn't see a sign on my chest asking for your 2 cents or for you so called "advice". I had one guy tell me, "You'd better be able to educate them all!" No joke. What give strangers the right to let me know that they disapprove of the number of children I have.
Granted....I have had many comments about me looking like I'm 19 but seriously...I am so NOT 19! I thought maybe I'm getting glances because I look so young but does the large wedding ring on my figure not mean anything?
Ok...I just had to vent. It's just irritating to go to the grocery store and be bombarded with this annoyance! Any other mothers of more than 2.2 kids feel my pain? I think that we all need to support each other!

5 comments:

Jolie Molino said...

Hey, I feel the same way with people when they see I have twins!Like some how by having twins, I have met my limit of children I should have? Oh, and if I go out with all 3 boys and my niece oh the looks I get! We just quickly say to ANY thing people say to us, Yes the Lord as really blessed us!

Shelly said...

I can TOTALLY relate! My mom tells me all the time I "can't" have anymore. Like its her place to decide. I get sideways looks and strangers inquiring about my fertility status. My favorite question, "are the twins natural"? or "Your done right because you have two of each?" When I tell them I'm planning on having four more, their jaw drops and that shuts them up. Even if I'm not really having four more. I get what you are saying loud and clear!!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sarah B. said...

You don't know me...I am just a blog stalker because I love reading about everyones life but I had to comment. I have 2 kids (both unplanned but overjoyed about them both). I am now remarried and would like to have a 3rd child with my husband and than be done. I have had two people (people who love me dearly) say that I "might" be selfish for wanting more children because it will be sooo much easier to just raise the two I have (we live paycheck to paycheck but we survive and have a happy loving family). But your blog made me happy...people can do it and God takes care of us. Thank you for your strong convictions on being proud of your larger than 2.2 children family!

KBlouin said...

My husband and I are expecting our 4th child in 28 days. And we are taking care of my husbands 16yr old brother. When we go to the store, kids and belly in tow...we get some crazy looks and remarks. Everyone at work calls our family a soccer team. I am not your "typical looking" mom, I have tattoos covering my entire left arm (sleeve)and tat's that cover about 3/4 of my back, I am also a US Army veteran. People automatically assume that I am crazy and that my kids are unplanned. Although I do have some of the best behaving kids that are in that particular store at any time. They are 16, 9, 3, and 2...not once will you hear or see them try to throw a fit like most people who only have 1 or 2.2 kids. All of us who have more then 2.2 kids are some of the strongest minds, bodies, and souls that I know of. Oh well if we are living paycheck to paycheck, as long as there is love and nurturing in the house as well as food and the necessities of life, your doing an awesome job as a parents. ;)