Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Classroom Fun...

So I helped out in Jeremiah's 1st grade class today. It was so cute to see the kids figure stuff out. I love my son's teacher. She is great with the kids and really has the classroom running smoothly. They are encouraged to be independent and it's fabulous!

Did I mention that the school only has 1 male teacher. 1! He teaches 5th grade... Even the principal is a women! =)

I want to help out in Hailey's 4th grade class. I think that as of now, I really like the 3rd grade level and I think I would like teaching that age...but I still want to check out the 4th grade. I'll be done in April with my degree...then off to the credential program... so... I have some time to decide but I think that I would do better with the middle ages. I have a lot of respect for those teachers that work with the Junior High and High School. I'm not sure I would have the patience...same with Kindergarten. I think that if I co-taught Kindergarten it would be fun but I'm not sure I would be able to do it all alone.

Jeremiah's 1st grade class has 20 kids... not too bad... Hailey's though...has 31! Holy Crap! 31 kids...wait.... 31- 10 year old's! Girls are getting to the "click" age and boys are realizing that girls exist, and girls are maybe thinking that boys are cute but they still stink and are gross... I think Hailey's teacher needs a HUGE hug and a LARGE cup of coffee! =)

So, all of you teachers out there... THANK YOU. Thank you for pouring into our kids' lives every day. Thank you for giving of yourself, your family, your time, your money, your love and your lives. Thank you for making school and environment that out kids want to go to and enjoy going to.

And, for all of us parents... volunteer in their classrooms if you can. Ask the teachers what kind of supplies they need and keep replenishing them when you can. (It's week 4 and she has already gone through a bunch of glue sticks...and erasers) Send notes of encouragement and appreciation. And teach your kids (as I teach mine) to be respectful and loving. To use manners and be kind. Spoil your kids' teachers because they are making a difference in your child's life. =)

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

I had a new appreciation for Ryan after volunteering at his pre-school last year. I saw some behavior issues that we needed to work on, but overall I realized how AMAZING my kid is. There was another kid who was a horror and made Ryan look like a poster child on his worst day.