Friday, September 12, 2008

DMV...are you KIDDING me?!?

Oh my gosh. The CA DMV. Can you see my hair turning grey and steam coming out of my ears? If not...trust me... it is!

We had to get our car registered and our CA drivers licenses. I thought I was being savvy and made an appointment online. We walked in... got our number and waited for only a few minutes. I was stoked...until we got up to the counter and the lady snipped at us for not having paperwork! Um...why didn't the lady who checked us in (with the confirmation of appointment paper...so she knew why we were there...) give us paperwork? So...after filling out the paperwork and waiting for a bit... our lady went on her break! Yup, her break...it was only 10:30am...
So... I had to get a new number. Finally, after awhile our lady came back from her break. *sigh* I really don't like the DMV. Because I had a CA drivers license before, I didn't have to take the test so that was fabulous. =)

BUT can I just tell you ... when we went to get our drivers license in AZ, it was a pleasant experience... not a walk in the park...but at least the people were nice. When I got my picture taken for the AZ license I started to leave because I figured they'd send it in the mail like good 'ol CA...but nope! AZ prints it out right there. 5 minutes and I had my license. *sigh* Not the case in CA. I should expect my license in 7 - 10 days. Are you joking?!?! So, right now I'm driving around with my AZ license with a hole punched in it! and a piece of paper from the CA DMV stating "Temporary License"... lovely.

We were just glad to get out of there. We still have to get the car smog'd, which means we have to go back again. Oh and it was EXPENSIVE! Can I just say that it was more than a few hundred dollars! I remember when I got my license at 16... it cost me $12. Today... $28. But it's the stupid registration that kills you! Where in the world does all that money go? Cuz you know there was at least 100 people in the DMV this morning...all paying fee's of some sort... I'll remember all the money we paid when we drive down the street and hit our head on the ceiling of the car from all the wonderful bumps and pot holes in the road... =)

1 comment:

"Intentionally Katie" said...

When I got married, the AZ DMV punched a hole OVER MY FACE. I looked at the guy and said, "Um, while I'm going through the process of changing my name and needing old and new ID, don't you think it would be helpful for my face to be whole?" He just laughed and said, "Ooops." I was livid. I had to dig out my old Kansas license with my maiden name on it. Such a hassle! DMVs are not my favorite.